This Month in History: Leland Hotel Opened in Downtown Syracuse

Leland Hotel

On May 1st 1888, the Leland Hotel opened at the corner of West Fayette and South Franklin Streets. At the time it was one of the largest in Central New York. It was six stories high and contained over 100 rooms. However, only two years later the hotel was completely destroyed by one of the worst fires in the city’s history. The fire started early in the morning and was out of control by the time it was discovered. Several guests were trapped on the upper floors and were forced to jump out of the windows to escape the blazing inferno. At least six people were killed and dozens more were seriously injured, including actress Cora Tanner who was staying there while in town for a performance at the Grand Opera House.