This Month in History: Schrafft’s Opens on South Salina Street

Schrafft's, South Warren Street Circa 1906

In July of 1906, Frank G. Shattuck and his sisters, Jane and Kathryn, came to Syracuse from Brooklyn and opened a candy and bake shop on South Warren Street Soon the store was just one of the dozens in the Schrafft’s restaurant chain, with the majority located in New York City. The Syracuse store was the first to serve food and had a Japanese Tea Room that was advertised as “the daintiest luncheon spot in all the State.” Schrafft’s stores were moderately priced and frequented mostly by women, despite efforts in the later years to attract more male customers by adding bars. The final location of the Syracuse restaurant, on South Salina and East Fayette Streets, closed on January 5th, 1965, a victim of changing lifestyles.

Today, there are only a few architectural reminders of the original Syracuse location on Warren Street. Can you tell where the storefront used to be?

Learn more about Schrafft’s via The New York Times.