The Research Center is visited by a wide variety of patrons from genealogists, teachers, architects, authors, students, and everyone in between. Home to over 1 million items such as of photographs, maps, newspaper articles, letters, and postcards OHA’s Research Center allows visitors to learn more about Onondaga County’s history through an engaging, hands on experience.
Located on the second floor of OHA’s building at 321 Montgomery Street, the Research Center is open to the public Wednesday through Friday 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM and Saturday 11:00 AM to 3:30 PM and is closed Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. Admission is free for OHA members, $7 for the general public, and $4 for students. Photo ID is required for entry. Interested in becoming a member? Click here.
Research services for our remote customers are available at $40 per hour, with a $15 minimum payment in advance. Please fill out the Research Services Request Form below as completely as possible so that your request may be processed efficiently.
Find a photo in our research center that you would like to purchase? Simply ask our research assistant for a form while in the research center or head to our online photo store to buy the image from the comfort of your own home and we’ll have it shipped right to your door.
Art use fees can be found by clicking here. The form will download immediately.
Note: It may take 4-8 weeks to process your request depending the volume our facility has at the time. Please provide us with any specific dates, locations and/or resolution/ordinance numbers you may have as this may expedite the research process. If paying by check, your request will not be processed until we receive the payment.
Click Here to Fill Out the Research Center Inquiry Form
Planning a visit to the Research Center? Here’s what you should keep in mind:
- Coats and bags must be checked.
- A Patron Registration Form must be filled out for entry
- Visitors must be prepared to show photo I.D., such as a driver’s license.
- Pencils and/or laptops should be used for taking notes.
- Requests for obtaining items from the Research Center and/or OHA Archives will be fulfilled by the Research Center attendant.
- A Non-Exclusive License agreement must be filled out before requests for photocopying any materials will be filled by the Research Center attendant.
- Photocopies will only be produced as long as the materials can be copied without damage, and the request is within the copyright law.
Descriptions of most of our manuscripts and archive holdings can be viewed on the New York State Library’s online catalog, Excelsior, and the Library of Congress online National Union Catalog.
To search our archives in Excelsior complete the following steps:
- Select Historical Document Inventory as the library.
- Type Onondaga Historical Association followed by the word and, and then your search terms.
- For example: Onondaga Historical Association and salt or Onondaga Historical Association and Civil War.
OHA Research Center Tools
Click the name of the PDF you would like to view
Research Center Finding Aid