In 2019, Temple Concord celebrates its 180th anniversary as an integral component of Syracuse & Onondaga County. As part its Out of the Vault series, OHA is marking this momentous occasion with a display of photos and objects from Temple Concord’s and OHA’s archives. OHA’s display succinctly reviews 180 years of Temple Concord’s presence in the community. OHA would like to thank Rabbi Daniel Fellman, Diane Sacks, assistant to Rabbi Fellman, and Mike Moss, congregant, for their assistance on the anniversary display.
In 1839, four Syracuse Jews— Max Thalheimer, Joseph Schloss, Samuel Manheimer, and Hesh Rosenbach – all of whom had been born in Europe—met shortly after the High Holy Days of that year and began to form a congregation. Within a year, they had formed what they called Knesset Shalom, the first Jewish congregation in Syracuse. From that modest beginning, the growing congregation transformed a house into their first synagogue in 1846, and then built their first permanent synagogue in 1851. Sixty years later, the congregation constructed their current synagogue at 910 Madison in Syracuse. Today it is known as Temple Concord.
Temple Concord is planning numerous events to mark this “10 times chai” anniversary, including re-creations of historic worship services, social events, and educational sessions, culminating in a celebratory weekend, September 6 – 8. The Temple will also fundraise during the year to support its newly formulated Religious Education Fund, which will nurture the congregation’s future generations.
As Rabbi Daniel Fellman noted in his Erev Rosh Hashanah 5779 message on September 9, 2018, “Were it not for Max, Joe, Sam, and Hesh, the Temple Concord we all know and love would not exist. They were our founding fathers, the dreamers, the ones in the room where it happened.”
In addition to this temporary anniversary display on Temple Concord, OHA also highlights more of the Jewish community of Syracuse & Onondaga County in its larger exhibit, From Laying the Foundation to Forging Ahead: Jewish Contributions to Syracuse & Onondaga County. This exhibit interprets local Jewish culture and history within four categories: Community, Business, Entertainment, and Athletics. It highlights people, military personnel, the old Jewish neighborhood, synagogues, local and famous entertainers, and athletes. Since opening in October 2017, From Laying the Foundation to Forging Ahead has educated many visitors on Syracuse & Onondaga County’s vibrant and historically significant Jewish community. OHA’s museum is located at 321 Montgomery Street in downtown Syracuse. For more information on OHA and the Jewish community exhibit, visit www.cnyhistory.org.
For additional information on Temple Concord’s 180th-anniversary events throughout 2019, please visit www.templeconcord.org.