At 7:00 pm on December 1st, 1948, WHEN-TV went on the air for the very first time from the second floor studio at Syracuse Television Company on lower Court Street just 16 days after equipment had arrived. It was the first television broadcast in Central New York and just the 47th station to launch in the entire country. Originally Channel 8, it switched to Channel 5 in 1961 when the Federal Communications Commissioned revised the Upstate New York allocation table. In 1976, the station changed its call letters from WHEN to WTVH when the radio station (also WHEN) was sold to another company and decided to keet its letters. The television station is still known as WTVH today and is the local CBS affiliate as part of CNY Central.