Though our administrative offices are located in downtown Syracuse, Onondaga Historical Association (OHA) is constantly growing its footprint throughout Onondaga County and evolving to meet the demands of the community. To reach our goals, we are committed to cultivating a collaborative work environment with a staff as rich and diverse as our collections. Learn about our current employment opportunities by browsing below. If you’re interested in interning or volunteering with us, click here and fill out the form.
Director of Development – Onondaga Historical Association (OHA)
General Description: Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development serves as a front-line fundraiser for the organization. Primary duties involve further developing relationships with and soliciting existing prospects for annual and major gifts as well as qualifying a large pool of identified donors who have the capacity to support priorities of the OHA. The Director will design and implement successful engagement, cultivation, and solicitation and stewardship strategies for individuals, businesses, and foundations. Strategic focus includes building a deeper pipeline of major gift donors in preparation for future campaigns. OHA is looking for someone who is an experienced fundraiser and has an entrepreneurial and creative approach to the work and can work collaboratively with colleagues and members of the community.
As assigned by the Executive Director, the Director of Development will participate in various departmental and inter-departmental functions with duties that include:
- Establish, cultivate, and manage relationships with corporate prospects, foundations, and prospective and existing major gift donors.
- Maintain gift recognition and stewardship programs.
- Develop and manage the development department’s annual budget.
- Work closely with the executive director of OHA regarding prospect meetings and solicitations.
- Successfully complete foundation, state, and federal grant applications
- Coordinate the preparation of all annual fundraising events, including colleague and volunteer support.
- Develop and execute an annual development strategy that aligns with the organization’s strategic plan.
- Report regularly to the Development Committee on outcomes of fundraising initiatives.
- Conduct ongoing monitoring and analysis to assess the effectiveness of the various components of the development strategy.
- Lead the marketing and public relations efforts for the organization, including the management of all social media channels, email marketing, composition of press releases, and management of OHA’s website.
- Research and develop opportunities for corporate partnerships.
- Supervise and manage the activities of the Development Associate.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum: Bachelor’s Degree with five years of experience in development. Experience with donor databases as well as basic office software (Google, Word, Excel, etc.). Must have a valid NYS Driver’s License, knowledge of social media platforms, experience writing press releases, and a history of managing events.
Preferred: Master’s degree with previous leadership experience and knowledge of Abila FR50 Donor Database.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and three professional references to email@example.com.
The OHA is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.