The following information is from a 1992 Office of Parks Recreation, and Historic Preservation document and have been edited for clarity and briefness.
Built around 1890 in the Beaux Arts tradition, the Hogan building underwent renovations around 1960 changing the facade to its present form. The building has had a variety of uses through the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries including Graff Furniture, Hislops Department Store, Heenan Cloack and Suit, niswonger and Benkesser, the Majestic Cloack Factory, Baker Shoes, Jay-Cobbs, and One Price Sportswear.
In 1990, the destruction of an adjacent building left the south facing wall exposed to what is currently an alley.
The building’s first two owners, Thomas Hogan and Bernard B. Givens, were active in local philanthropic endeavors, religious associations, and politics. At the time of the building’s construction, Hogan, a Syracuse native born in January 1858, was one of the prime builders and property owners during this phase of Syracuse’s development.
The second owner, Givens, bought the building in 1919, moving the Majestic Cloack Factory into the building. Givens was active in local charities and was the Chairman of United Jewish Appeal, on the board of Directors of the Syracuse Cerebral Palsy Clinic, The Dunbar Center, and past president of Bani Brith. Givens was also active in creating scholarships and loan programs aiding students.