On April 27th, 1993, New York State’s largest landslide in 75 years occurred in the Tully Valley, destroying three homes and covering an area of 1,500 feet of Tully Farms Road with mud 15 feet deep. A combination of events led to the slide, including the record snowfall during the winter of 1992-1993. Three people were rescued from their home by helicopter with no serious injuries reported. Homeowners were allowed to return to their homes two weeks after the slide, though Tully Farms Road continued to be blocked for several months as authorities cleared debris.
More about Tully, NY, via the Village of Tully: “Following the Revolutionary War, the upstate New York area was organized into Military Tracts. The surveyors were responsible for naming the areas and one of the assistant surveyors, being a classical scholar and professor at Kings College (Columbia), assigned names from Roman generals and statesmen and Greek men of letters. Tully is derived from the middle name of Marcus Tullius Cicero.Marcus Tullius Cicero (Jan.3, 106 – Dec. 7, 43 BC) was Rome’s most famous orator, lawyer, and statesman, and achieved the highest political distinction by serving as consul in 63 BC. His numerous essays, speeches, and letters have exerted an enormous influence upon subsequent ages from ancient times to the present.
The first [European] settler was David Owen, who build a log cabin in 1795, and the first Annual Town Meeting was held on April 4, 1803. By 1860 the population exceeded one thousand. The Village of Tully was established in 1875. Our current population (2014 census) was 870 in the Village of Tully (0.6 sq. miles) and 2,738 in the Town of Tully (25.9 sq. miles).”