Gift of Adlai B. Wheel, Syracuse, NY, 1946.
Onondaga Historical Association (OHA) has fragments of the ropes used to execute by hanging three men at the Onondaga County Penitentiary in the 19th century. These were the last ‘legal’ hangings in Onondaga County (see article by Johnathan Croyle here).
The rope fragments measure between 1″ & 2″ and are attached to a card that links the rope to the man hanged. These rope fragments are just a small sample of the local history objects that can be found at OHA’s museum in downtown Syracuse.